Sponsors

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dr. Weil's Lemon Olive Oil Cake


Dr. Weil's Recipe Vault- Part 2
I'm slowly working my way down Dr. Weil's recipes. If you want to know how I got into cooking his philosophy on healthy stuff, take a look here and here. At their restaurant they actually serve an almond olive oil cake. It might sound weird using olive oil, but really in the end you only taste what flavoring you decide to add (i.e. lemon, almond, vanilla, etc). I would compare this cake to a very light white cake.

You can find this exact recipe here at Dr. Weil's website or see caption.

If your too lazy to click for the recipe, just see below at my edited notes.
Ingredients
4 lemons, zested and juiced (I took some lemons from my grandma's house but was tart. Next time I'll buy from the market, no offense!)
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 eggs
1 teaspoon sea salt (Ooops! No sea salt! It's ok, I used Kosher Salt)
2 cups evaporated cane sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
Fresh berries or fruits you would want to add



  1. Combine zest, juice and olive oil in a small bowl. (I zested only about 3 lemons and it wasn't all the way through. I think two would of been enough)
  2. In the mixer combine eggs & salt. Mix on medium for 2 minutes. Slowly add the sugar and continue to mix until pale and thickened.
  3. Turn mixer to low and slowly sift in the flour and baking powder, followed by the olive oil mixture. Do not over mix at this point; just incorporate the ingredients.
  4. Pour this mixture into a cake pan or muffin tin. (I used a bundt pan that was sprayed with baking spray and then coated with flour) Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes for cupcakes and 35 minutes for large cakes. (Bundt pans took about 50 minutes). Poke with a toothpick to check for doneness.
  5. Serve with Greek yogurt and fresh strawberries. (I improvised here, I used Fage yogurt with fruit filling from the fridge, stirred up the yogurt with some agave nectar and spooned it on the cake and added fresh blackberries) 
Fage yogurt is sooo useful cause I was getting sick of plain ol' yogurt.
Blackberries want to play!

Can never have enough close ups!
So what did I learn from this recipe? Use store bought lemons! I think another great use for this recipe is incorporate chopped pineapples and turn it into a pineapple upside down cake. Combinations are endless since the olive oil cake is on the neutral side and makes a great base cake. Hope you enjoy and thanks for reading! Until then, enjoy!

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share and Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...